Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Revival

So much awesomeness is right on the horizon for me running-wise that I have to revive the blog. 

To start off, though, I'll need to take it back a bit.  On Cinco de Mayo, Alison and I ran the Long Branch Half Marathon in Long Branch, NJ.  It was pretty awesome.  The course was interesting, the weather was perfect, Alison KILLED it with her first ever sub-2 hour half, and I finished with an acceptable time of 2:06:27 (I'm always happy with a sub-2:10 half).  Also, the medals were pretty sweet:



Immediately post-Long Branch, I had to start gearing up for the NJ Liberty Run Half Marathon on Memorial Day weekend.  Or at least I THOUGHT I had to.  9 days before the race, it was cancelled.  The race organizers tried to blame the city of Jersey City for the cancellation, but the city called them out and made it clear that the race organizers were being scheisters who were just trying to cover up their poor planning.  So, Liberty Run Half organizers, YOU CAN SUCK IT.  Your race wasn't cheap, and I'm STILL waiting on my refund.  You should all take a very long and expensive flight to Australia (in coach), find a kangaroo, and let it kick you in the nuts.  I hate you.  But I digress... on May 25th, I ran 13.1 miles anyway, and wouldn't ya know it, I PR'ed.



My very first sub-2 hour half marathon, and it's not freaking official because some JACKWAGONS decided to poon out of what could've been a really great race.  So, I'll repeat:  Liberty Run Half Marathon organizers, kindly leap from a tall building.

After the race that never was, I fell off the wagon a bit.  I ran a grand total of four times the entire month of June.  One of those times was a race in Central Park:  the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, in which I did a crappy job of representing my company.  I took the bib of work friend Karen, who was planning on walking the 3.5miles, so to start off, I was in the walker's corral at the very back.  Also, the race consisted of somewhere around 25 THOUSAND people.  So, suffice it to say I spent the entire 3 and a half miles weaving in and out of people who were clearly not runners.  My time bit (35:07).  Thankfully, however, it's not on my record as a runner since I was running as someone else.  Sorry, Karen.  But hey, I got a sweet purple company tshirt out of it. 


Where's Waldo?


I'm happy to report now that I'm back on the wagon, and on track training-wise for the Disneyland Half Marathon, which is in 6 short weeks!  And between now and then there is so much to look forward to.  This weekend I'm heading to the Windy City with Jay for a fun couple of days of being touristy.   We will eat deep dish pizza, take a picture of our reflection in that big bean thing, check out the Skydeck at Willis Tower, and I will run 7 miles along the shores of Lake Michigan.  Pictures will be coming.  On August 1st I leave for vacation in Seaside, where several long runs will be followed up by jumping into the Atlantic, and on August 10th, I'll be participating in the wedding of one of my very best friends, Steph "Mex" Peirce.  Worry not, all will be reported blog-style.  God I love the summer.  I'M SO EXCITED!

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it,

CQ

No comments:

Post a Comment