Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Elliptical... Does it Count?

This dog is a cheater:


He ran more than I did yesterday though, considering that yesterday I ran no miles.  I elliptical-ed three.  So here is my conundrum:  does it count?  I know for sure that it counts as a workout.  I burned more calories than I would have if I ran 3 miles at 6 MPH on the treadmill, and I had to stay on the elliptical about 10 minutes longer than I would have stayed on the treadmill to reach those 3 miles, but is it good enough to allow me to cross off the three miles I was supposed to run yesterday? 

When I got to the very small gym in my apartment building yesterday, it was packed.  Shame on me for thinking it was ok to get my run in after work on a Monday at what appears to be peak workout time.  The only piece of cardio equipment available to me was an elliptical, and the two girls taking up the the treadmills looked like they'd Jesse Spano-ed themselves to get there:


So it was unlikely they'd be leaving anytime soon.  My only option was the elliptical or outside, and outside wasn't gonna work cuz I had brought a bottle of water, my iPhone, and my entire set of keys down to the gym with me.  I couldn't very well carry all that on my pocket-less self for a 3 mile run.  Elliptical it was.  I was sweating like a madman for 40 minutes and my thighs felt like they were being slow roasted.

Yum.

Therefore, to answer my own question, YES.  It does count.  The only difference between ellipticaling and treadmilling  was the lack of impact on my already damaged knees and hips.  My heartrate was up, the sweat was flowing, and I traversed the virtual three miles I intended to.  July 9th- 3 miles = CHECK.  And if you disagree you can bite me.  Right in the original recipe chicken thigh.

I'm SO Excited,

CQ

1 comment: