Tuesday, July 24, 2012

You Know that We are Living in a Material World

I like stuff.  Stuff is fun.  It's cool to go find stuff, hand over some pictures of dead guys, then take stuff home with you.  This is not to say I'm completely materialistic, I just really enjoy stuff.  New stuff especially.  So last Friday, I took a short stroll from work to The Running Company and picked up this gem:


I've been thinking about getting one of these bad boys for a few weeks now.  It's nice to have a way to easily glance down and check my time/distance without having to go through all of the unlocking, sliding, app finding, and opening I have to with my phone (plus I don't want my precious iPhone to shatter).  I couldn't tell you how excited I was to run on Saturday morning (even after a particularly boozy company outing to the Mets/Dodgers game at Citi Field Friday night) and test out my new toy.  I ran 8.5 miles and barely felt it at all because I was having so much fun looking at my right wrist and watching the miles, calories, and seconds tick up for a full 1 hour 28 minutes and 35 seconds.  This is why, especially for a runner, stuff is great.  It can make you so excited about going for a run, and that excitement is crucial if you want training to be fun and productive.  That said, I've compiled a list the stuff (besides my Garmin) that I own that has previously gotten or does currently get me excited to hit the pavement.  In no particular order:

I'm terrible at hydrating myself.  The entire time I was training for the Broad Street 10 Mile I didn't carry water with me ONCE.  This time it will be different.  I brought this with me on my 8 1/2 mile run on Saturday and I was SO glad to have it.  Plus, look how pretty that blue is!



These are the only shorts in the world that do not ride up in every possible way.  Also the only shorts that do not induce the dreaded chub rub.  I have three pairs.  I need more.  While we're at it.... Gap's "Breathe" line of tank tops and tshirts are phenomenal too. 


RUN:Swiftly Tech LS
Oh my, this shirt.  There are few items of clothing I own that I love more than this shirt.  Obviously I'm not using it much right now in the middle of July, but in March, this thing was spectacular.  And, come on, THUMB HOLES. 


I love my shoes.  So much.  Especially now that I just recently washed them.  Roundhouse kicking a bag in it's rib cage a hundred or so times a week really makes your shoes dirty, but now they're sparkling clean.  These aren't the EXACT shoes I have. The mesh on mine is white and the gray overlay is much lighter, but you get the idea.  Also, the foot pod for my Garmin fits right into a little slot underneath of the left insole.  Unfortunately, these are fast approaching the end of their life.  I'll likely need to get new shoes between my two half marathons this fall.  I think that these particular Nike Free Run 3's are in the cards for me. 



Pinned Image
And finally... I don't actually have this yet, but I want to get one or make one.  My bibs are just sitting in a drawer in my bedroom.  I don't have many as of now, but they're swiftly increasing in number and I'd love a spot to put them where I can look over and feel some sort of accomplishment.  Plus, farther distance races usually have medals, so I need a place to fling my bling.  That was awful.  I apologize.


So that's about it for now.  I'm sure as I get further into training I'll find about a zillion running related things that I just HAVE to have.  And I'm sure the subsequent runs will be awesome.  But for now, these are the things keeping me excited to run.  Hmmm... food and merchandise.  What a consumer I am.  AMERICA!

You're Welcome, Economy,

CQ

3 comments:

  1. a.) love the color of the new shoes you're considering. b.) I want that bib hanger too. Unfortunately, I think I've thrown out most of my bibs from previous years. I kept them for a while, but then I was like, "what am I gonna do with these things?" DUH! bib hanger! Thank God I still have the Broad Street bib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that bib hanger from Etsy! You must not have been in my room recently ;) Funnily enough, I actually got two of them for Christmas this year! (Great minds think alike, I suppose.) But I talked to the Etsy lady (who is so nice) and swapped one in for a "My 26.2" medal hook. Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's RIGHT! I totally knew you had one of those. Alison and I are thinking about making our own, but the Etsy lady's are so awesome!

      Delete