Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Payoff

Yesterday, I officially booked my 5 day 4 night stay at Disney's Polynesian Resort for marathon week.  My sister, Alison, who will be running along side me, Jay, who will be cheering us on from the sidelines, and I will be checking in on January 12th.  Alison and I will run a quick 26.2 miles that Sunday morning, then we'll all be hitting the parks.  I love Disney World.  My family is (somewhat) fresh off of a 4 day stay at Bay Lake Tower this past Thanksgiving, and I've been dying to get back ever since for the rides, shows, atmosphere, and most of all, the FOOD.  GLORIOUS FOOD. 

By my calculations, I'll be burning somwhere in the realm of 3,000 calories on race day.  I plan on taking those calories back.  And quickly.  By force if necessary.  I've compiled a list in my head of items that I MUST consume during those 5 days in the 407.  It's time to put them on paper.  Thanks to my favorite blog of all time, The Disney Food Blog, I can show you every morsel of food (and one drink) that I will be stuffing down my gullet in 185 days.  So here goes. In the order of "Yeah, I'm totally gonna eat that", to "I'm gonna build a Scrooge McDuck Vault, fill it with this food, put on some swim trunks, and do laps in it":


#10:  Frozen Banana with Nuts, all parks.  Now, this obviously isn't a strictly "Disney" food, but the first time I had one of these bad boys was in 2002 when I was strolling through Animal Kingdom with my high school softball team (Go Irish.).  Since then, this frozen monkey fodder on a stick has become synonymous with the House that Walt Built.  So, yeah, I'm totally gonna eat that. 

Photo Credit:  Erin Foster, Disney Food Blog


#9:  Hot Dog from Casey's Corner at the Magic Kingdom, Main Street.  Ok so not so much the hot dog itself, but more that glorious bright orange goodness in the top righthand corner of the below picture.  That is cheese. Melty, liquid, lava-hot cheese that comes out of a faucet-like pump.  God knows what KIND of cheese it is, or if it even has any real cheese in it, but that stuff slathered over a Casey's Corner plain hot dog is off the CHAIN.  (Or should I say, leash?).  So, oh yeah, I'm totally gonna eat that.

Photo Credit:  Chef Big Fat Panda, Disney Food Blog


#8:  Grey Goose Lemon Citron Slush at Epcot, France Pavillion. Oh my.  I had this deliciousness on my last trip to the Dis.  It is no joke.  It's Grey Goose vodka (obviously) and some sort of lemony-citrusy flavor blended into a smooth icy adult beverage.  Now, admittedly I drank this immediately after I finished a very large Radeberger Pilsener at the Germany Pavillion, so I was feeling the effects of the beer in conjunction with the slushie, but this drink was boozier than I expected.  Boozy, refreshing, and delicious.  Perfect way to unwind after running for 4 1/2-5 hours, yes?  So, you better believe, I'm totally gonna drink that.
Photo Credit:  Disney Food Blog


#7:  Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar, all parks.  No explanation needed.  If you go to Disney World and don't eat this adorableness, you might be a complete whackadoo. So yeah, I'm not crazy, and I'll totally be eating that.

Photo Credit:  Disney Food Blog


#6:  Egg Roll at Animal Kingdom, Anandapur Local Food Cafe.  Egg rolls are egg rolls in my opinion.  There isn't too much that distinguishes one from the other.  But I must say that this one is distinguishable.  It's greasier than most egg rolls, which to some would be a turnoff, but I think it's what makes this one so good. Throw in the fact that you're in one of the most impeccably themed sections on Disney property and you got yourself a nice little snackeroo of fried cylindrical asian goodness.   So, shì, I'm totally gonna eat that.
Photo Credit:  Disney Food Blog


#5:  Turkey Leg, all parks.  Now, I've never actually eaten one of these because, in reality, they are menacing and kind of gross looking.  But the fact that I have never even had a BITE of one is what intrigues me.  It's quintessential Disney.  I like Disney.  I like turkey.  I like prentending to be Fred Flintstone.  So I gotta do it.  This will be the trip.  So, yeah, if Alison helps, I'm totally gonna eat that. 

Photo Credit:  Illuminating Epcot


#4:  Tonga Toast at the Polynesian Resort, Kona Cafe and Captain Cook's.  This is another treat that I have never actually eaten, but it is most definitely happening this time.  I'm staying at the Polynesian, so it will be readily available.  Tonga Tost is, as I understand, banana-stuffed french toast coated in cinnamon sugar, then deep fried.  Yep.  Sounds like a perfect way to start the day to me.  So, heavens to Betsy, I'm totally gonna eat that.

Photo Credit:  Disney Food Blog


#3:  Giant Peanut Butter Oreo Cookie at the Magic Kingdom, Main St. Confectionary.  This may have been the greatest sweet treat I have ever eaten.  It is ACTUAL Oreo chocolate filled with an impossible to describe peanut buttery center.  I absolutely HOUSED mine last time.  The cookie was just the tiniest bit softer than a normal Oreo, which is the epitome of perfection. I'd like to build a sword out of these and swallow it creepy sideshow style.  So, sweet Lord Baby Jesus in a barn, I'm totally gonna eat at LEAST two of these. 
Photo Credit:  Disney Food Blog


#2:  Fried Chicken at Fort Wilderness, Hoop Dee Doo Revue.  Now, as far as this list goes, this item is a bit of a cheat.  You see, I'm not actually going to get any of this as Hoop Dee Doo sadly won't fit into our schedule/budgets this trip.  But this fried chicken.  Oh this fried chicken.  I would fry MYSELF if I were first dredged in whatever the heck it is they put on this stuff.  It is by far the juciest, crispiest, most flavorful fried chicken on the planet.  I DARE you to find better fried chicken.  You won't.  Stop trying.  So, yeah, (if time/money allowed), I would totally eat ~16 silver pails of that.

Photo Credit:  Disney Food Blog


#1:  Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup at Epcot, Le Cellier, Canada Pavillion.  This is another one I've never had, which may make it seem odd to some that this is at #1 on my list.  But it's cheddar cheese.  In soup form. And I recall saying that I'd rank these in order of  "Yeah, I'm totally gonna eat that", to "I'm gonna build a Scrooge McDuck Vault, fill it with this food, put on some swim trunks, and do laps in it", so this is the one.  I don't even have to taste it to know.  Every single last reivew I've read on this stuff (and I've read many) has made it akin to liquid gold.  It can apparently be blamed for Le Cellier reservations being harder to come by than a Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes marriage contract (topicaaaallll!!).  I cannot wait to shove my post-marathon face into a steaming bowl of this stuff.  This soup is the reason why I will be wide awake at my computer at midnight on July 16th (Disney suggests making your dining reservations 180 days before your trip, and this one especially WILL fill up if I don't take that suggestion) to make a reservation at Le Cellier.  So yeah, you had better believe I will eat the absolute CRAP out of that.  And I'll probably never be the same again.
Photo Credit:  Disney Food Blog, Photoshop Credit:  Alison


So, there you have it.  10 reasons why I'm running this marathon.  Forget getting in shape and the feeling of accomplishment.  These are the best reasons I have.

Bon Apetit,

CQ


3 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the PB Oreo cookie from Magic Kingdom. I recall how I tragically left half of mine in the cupboard of our hotel room kitchen last time we were in Disney. What a horrible loss that was. And I too will be eating/slurping/swimming in a bowl of Cheddar Cheese Soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! That Tonga French toast would be the one I'd be most excited to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a reservation at Kona Cafe for the last morning of the trip, so I will for sure be partaking in Tonga Toast!

      Delete